Thursday, November 17, 2011

Social Action Poems

A People by Brooke Samerson
Kick me,
Beat me,
Kill me with your ways,
But I’ll walk to brighter days.
Try me,
Convict me,
Punish me,
Hurt me
But I’ll sing; my song lives on
Hang me,
Lynch me,
Trick me,

Detain me,

Deport me,

But I’m going to smile; I won’t change.
I’m a people,
A people with a history thick as a rug,
Muffled as an old song,
Rich as gold,
Sad as rain.
But those days are gone,
And I’m a new people.
A people with hope,
A people walking to the future.
A people smiling all day,
A people singing a new song.
And we people are not wrong.
Don’t judge me by my color,
Or blame me for my shame. 
I’ve walked a long, long way.
I’m not tired now, the road’s not done.
But for now, I’ll walk towards the rising sun.
I’m a people, going somewhere from nowhere.

3 comments:

  1. Wow this poem is mind blowing! I love how you said that your a people, going somewhere from nowhere. That really shows us that we start out small and eventually get somewhere. This poem is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke,

    The poem brings out your voice and your identity. It is applicable to any race or group of people who have been oppressed simply because they did not fit someone's version of what it is to be a "people." Your poem is touching to the concept of what it means to be human, how we move on despite people wanting to bring us down, and that in the end, it is our humanity that shines through and those who justify their cruel actions with hatred and racism are the ones to feel pity for, because they lack the ability to "walk towards the rising sun."
    Good work.

    -Ms. Hoque

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this poem is amazing. The images are stunning and beautiful. You describe everything so completely, and with each meaningful word on it's own line is a beautiful touch...

    ReplyDelete