Thursday, November 24, 2011

In God We Trust

        I read two articles,  "Atheist Newdow Ditches Six Year Anti - 'Under God' Pledge of Allegiance Lawsuit" and "Atheists File Lawsuit over 'God' Engravings".  Being a Christian, I admit that I may have a level of bias regarding this issue.
        Our nation is known for being a melting pot. A Jew, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Christian or Atheist can live in this country, all having equal, unalienable rights. While our country was being built, there were several issues with the separation of Church and State. The United States decided that the Church (religion) should be separate from the State (government). Despite this, however, the nation remains with the majority religious. So is it wrong for God to be put in our National Anthem or on our currency? I don't think so. When Church and State were separated, people were still in the Church; religion was not exterminated.
        Many nonreligious people believe that their rights are being denied when "In God we Trust" is put on government property. I honestly wouldn't care if it was taken from our currency. However, the United States of America is FILLED with religious people, and America will probably stay that way.
        To be honest, I feel like religious people are often being denied a level of freedom. Why CAN'T I pray in school? I'm not FORCING anyone else to do so, its between me, and God. In life, I'm going to come across every type of person, and we're all Americans. If having God involved in America is such a problem, we might as well go back in time and make all of the founding fathers Atheist or Agnostic. I'm not saying its wrong to want to keep religion and government separated, but the time spent trying to get rid of God in things can be spent trying to FIX the problems of this nation. God isn't a social issue, to me, its the lack of people being free to express God in any way shape, or form that IS an issue. Only 16% of America claims to be nonreligious. So what about the other 84%?
           Atheists can't prove there isn't a God no matter how hard they try. And if the nation says they TRUST IN GOD, the nation TRUSTS IN GOD. No matter how many lawsuits are filed or petitions are signed, the United States of America TRUSTS IN GOD, and frankly, I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment