Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Two Voice Poem


   
MotherDaughter

I had Leila at age 14.
I didn't meet my real mother until I was 14.
                                              
I'VE HAD TOO MANY SLEEPLESS NIGHTS

I try not to remember that night or who her father was, but every time my eyes close, I go back.
Every night in someone else's home, I wonder why my mom didn't keep me.

I CANNOT FORGET

She was of my own flesh, but how could I keep the child that reminded me of the hurt within me? There was no way I could look in her eyes and not see her father in them, too.

I was told to forget the past, but somehow I couldn't forget that I was left on a doorstep with nothing but my name on a Post-It and a cheap blanket.

I WANT TO FORGET
I want Leila back, but will she ever forgive me?
I want to see my mom, to know her, but can I ever forgive her?

She IS my daughter; I'm older now.
She IS my mother; I'm older now.

I CAN FORGET THE PAST

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you went in depth into two different people. Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete