Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Help

The Help Helped Me
       I finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett for my 4th time. Every time I’ve read this book, I found something new in it. This time, I learned from Skeeter, the author of the book Help which the real book The Help is about.
          Skeeter was a recent college graduate living in Mississippi in the 1960’s. She spent her days writing, hearing her mother’s complaints, and going to play bridge with other wealthy White women, and going to country clubs. After writing about something she believed in, she was alone. She decided to go against Hilly Holbrook, a powerful socialite who was once her friend. People who used to be her “friends” now wouldn’t speak to her. Then, she wrote a book on the lives of colored housekeepers and their opinions on their bosses. Many people sought to destroy the lives of her and the housekeepers. One of the housekeepers, Minny, was especially impacted. Her husband was fired after a complaint from Hilly’s husband. Later, Stuart, Skeeter’s boyfriend, ended the relationship after she admitted to writing the book.
          By then, after losing my friends, my social life, and my boyfriend, I might have given up the cause I was fighting for- Skeeter didn’t. Often in life, we put what others will think over what is really the right thing. Skeeter’s life was becoming miserably lonely and sad. In order to write the book that went against the beliefs of her neighbors, she had to lose friends. Writing Help wasn’t a major benefit for Skeeter. She didn’t need the little money she received. The book was written anonymously, so fame wasn’t what she sought. Skeeter sought a change. She could’ve gone on with the racist, mean, phony friends she had, she could’ve married Stuart and she could’ve kept her thoughts and desires inside like so many people do. Writing the book was a personal accomplishment. It showed what so few people do in their lives; risk everything for a fight they believe in. I found that this quote shows the beginning of Skeeter’s rebellion against the ways of those around her: ‘“A bill that requires every White home to have a separate bathroom for the colored help. I’ve even notified the surgeon general to see if he’ll endorse the idea. I pass." Miss Skeeter, she frowning at Miss Hilly. She set her cards down faceup and say matter-a-fact. “Maybe we ought to just build you a bathroom outside, Hilly.” And Law, do that room get quiet.”’ This shows that Skeeter was standing up to Hilly’s racist beliefs with comedy. Later, Miss Hilly threatened to fire her.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really good post!! I love how it's so detailed and descriptive. I also like how you stated what you would do if you were in Skeeter's shoes.

    ReplyDelete