Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

        Sarah's Key was probably the most heartbreaking book I've ever read. I was near tears in this book, where it jumped from a Jewish girl in France during the Holocaust to a modern American living in France. Sarah's family was arrested along with many other Jews in Paris by the French police. She locked her four year old brother in a cupboard to keep him safe, assuming she and her family were coming home soon. Sarah and her family were separated in a village on their way to Auschwitz, a concentration camp. Sarah got away from the village with a friend, and the help of a kind police officer. They got to the home of an old couple who realized Sarah's friend, Rachel was sick. They called a doctor, who reported the Jew to Germans. She was taken away, but Sarah remained hidden. She got back to her family's apartment to find her brother Michel's dead body in the cupboard. Years later, Sarah killed herself.
         Tatiana de Rosnay did an excellent job of demonstrating the emotions in this book. I felt pain when Michel's body was found, and hope that he'd miraculously been saved, or survived. I worried when Rachel showed signs of illness. This took the job of a good author. It isn't easy to show the anguish, love, and pain a character feels, but Tatiana de Rosnay did it.
        Sarah's Key also made me THINK. I was confused as to why RELIGION was a reason for innocent children to have their lives ruined. Sarah was the only survivor in the family. The fact that Michel died as a result of one evil man's deed added to my hate of Hitler. I related to Sarah even more because I have a brother who I'm very close to. Sarah must've carried the guilt of her action until the day she purposely drove into a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment